Monday, October 15, 2007

Finding Your Voice

I think I was fully prepared for a loud baby. When we were still living in the condo I was worried that we would drive the nice man that lived downstairs to distraction with all the noise I was sure you would make at all hours of the night and day.

But the last three months have been pretty quiet (with the exception of that last road trip and a few episodes on the changing table). You coo quietly, your fussing is understated and it's only when you're really unhappy that the decibel levels rise.

But over the last three days you've turned into quite the conversationalist. Last Friday your grandmother's friend Barby was finding it hard to get a word in edgewise. We were all a little shocked that you had so much to say. Yesterday, as we toured potential wedding sites for Dana and Eric (my heavens, what fun you had staring at the lights at the Fox Theater) you really seemed to find your voice. The empty ballrooms resonated with your sweet, high, delighted little squeals, gurgles and blasts of vowels. You liked hearing it bounce back at you and the monologue kept me entertained all day long. This morning, pretty early, you picked up where you left off last night.

I love that the world is something you find worthy of exclamation. And as your cries of protest grow louder (they certainly were this morning) I hope your coos of wonder and shouts of joy will also multiply. Your voice is one I will always love hearing, even in the ungodly hours of the morning.

No comments: