Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Booooo! Da Baby

Buddhalicious Baby...




When I lived on Zimmer Drive as a child we didn't have the rituals of Halloween they have these days. First there's Zimmerween, a party that falls on the weekend before Halloween, packed with fun for kids (costumes) and adults (wine and beer). We attended this year with our friends Chad and Molly in tow sans costume and sans a dish for the potluck or a bottle of wine. On the Zimmer Drive of yesteryear, this would have been just fine.

A lot has changed about Zimmer Drive in the fifteen years I've been gone. For starters, the house that hosted Zimmerween is a complete remodel of the duplex that used to be across the street. It's now one house (5,400 square feet, I believe) and boasts a pot-filler (a kitchen tool I'd never even heard of before last Saturday), a secret room for their young boy accessible by a swinging bookshelf in the closet, and a morning kitchen in the main bedroom. It's odd to come back to the same old house I grew up in and find I've "moved on up" by virtue of sharing a zipcode with the onslaught of wealthy folks who have moved on in.

But back to Halloween.

In addition to Zimmerween there is a street wide parade at 5:30 that officially kicks off the trick-or-treat hours. At 5:00 I was changing your diaper and commenting on your belly when the idea struck--you were the perfect size and shape to pull of Baby Buddha. So in thirty minutes we whipped together what I think is an absolutely stunning little number complete with real Sandalwood beads and a silk meditation cushion made in Cambodia. I couldn't find a Bodhi tree, so we just had rays of light emanating from your head.

Unfortunately, the costume required some explanation for the Zimmer crowd; you even got called Ms. Muffett sitting on your tuffett.

Alas, the mosquitoes are still biting and the temperature dropped so we didn't make it to the top of the street; even Buddha is susceptible to the elements. So we went back home where you changed into your pumpkin outfit and stood guard over the candy bowl. None of those pirates, ninjas or princesses got more than two pieces of candy on your watch.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it's so funny how it's all about Marian now. I hope your momma isn't feeling slighted by having her head cut out of almost all recent photos...

Sweet little Buddha. Your buddy Kate was going to go as a Buddhist monk, but it was chilly. Instead she went as a garden. It worked out pretty well, although I think she was fairly well over Halloween before we were even out the door. All in all, both dress-up occasions took a couple of hours of prep time for about 15 minutes of actual wear-time.

And yes, as a former Atlanta resident, I can also attest to the strangeness that comes with instant wealth when returning to my hood. I remember after I had moved away from Atlanta and I saw a commercial for Budweiser. All these trendy people were dancing, crowded into a bar where you can't even hear to have a conversation but oh-isn't-this-fun, and a little tag came on the bottom of the screen that said, "Virginia-Highlands, Atlanta, GA". I was stunned. And slightly horrified.

Even though the atmosphere has changed, hopefully the caliber of the people remains the same. I wish for you at least 10 "other mothers," as I believe your mom and I shared, and a gaggle of folks with whom you've gone from kindergarten all the way to your high school graduation day. Even though you are a big city girl now, the little niche you are in can still surround you like a protective enclave. Enjoy your time, sweet girl.

Anna said...

What a perfect buddha! You definitely have the tummy for it - something one of your biggest admirers, Parker, absolutely loves and claims makes you kin. We can't wait to see you in a few weeks sweet Marian!

By the way, I'm with your mom - I can't believe how much has changed since our days growing up on Zimmer Dr. But the one thing I loved and the one thing I hope for you, is that the Morningside neighborhood continues to surround its youngest with love. Your Momma Gerri and Poppa Joe picked a wonderful place to raise your mom & I and your parents have made a great decision to raise you there as well. There is a lot of love in that neighborhood.

Love you!