Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Teeth. What are they Good For?


We've been peering in your mouth anticipating the arrival of teeth for about two months now. I was pretty convinced you didn't have any and we'd have to get you fitted for little baby dentures. Yesterday we found what we've been waiting for; just below the surface of your lower gums are signs of impending teeth. All of a sudden, I'm wanting them to beat a quick retreat.

Your gummy smile is one we've all gotten used to and LOVE LOVE LOVE. You seem to do just fine chewing without teeth, so I don't know what the big hurry is. Teeth seem like such a big person thing: you have to brush them all the time, get them scraped clean at the dentist and worry about them getting knocked out during sports games. Babies don't need teeth and you're a baby.

But today the teeth were closer to the surface than they were yesterday and I imagine tomorrow they'll be closer still. That's just the way it goes. If I'm this woozy over teeth, imagine what I'll be like when you hit puberty.

No comments: