Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Save the Pools!




You were born in a summer that is now recorded as one of the driest since the Dust Bowl. Or, at least that's what London's Independent newspaper had to say about it last June. While we were in DC I was certainly aware that summer thunderstorms weren't ruining many of my evening walks, but the drought wasn't a featured topic of conversation with friends. But boy did we move from the frying pan into the fire. Atlanta needs a drink in the worst kind of way.

We're still months away from summertime temperatures and the real water hysteria but there's an article about the water levels at Lake Lanier, the tri-state family feud over water rights and the ways each county is cutting water consumption in every issue of the AJC. And the worst is not yet upon us...they are considering closing swimming pools.

This is a problem for us because just yesterday you showed a real proclivity for splashing around in highly chlorinated bodies of water. Parent/Tot Swim at the YMCA now ranks as one of your favorite things to do; relaxing in a warm bath at home now ranks a distant second. For a child who loves water so much, you had pretty bad timing. A water baby born in a drought year. It figures.

So we'll keep our fingers crossed about swimming in pools this summer and continue to be very thankful that the YMCA is an indoor pool with a very good heating system.

PS. A word about the pictures: you are undeniably a large baby and swimsuit season has come a bit early this year. On top of that, we've signed up for another year of the buy-nothing-new experiment so I had to buy the first suit I cam across at the consignment shop. It's not my favorite and I don't think it does your figure any favors. Please don't hold this against me in your pre-teen years.

2 comments:

Anna said...

As a curvy woman myself, I say enjoy the curves and the rolls while everyone still thinks it's cute!! Your picture can make me smile all day and all my friends want to pinch your cheeks (be thankful you do not live anywhere near them!)

Ashley, Bronson, Jackson, and Ellis Lee said...

I love your chubby thighs and bright smile! You are quite the bathing beauty!! Too bad you aren't still here to swim in our fun pool out back when the season returns. I wish I could just scoop you up and give you a big hug - hopefully we'll get to see you one day soon! Love Ashley, Bronson and Jackson