Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Making Marian


If I were the kind of mother I always imagined I would be, I'd have started this blog about 10 months ago, sometimes after this picture was taken of me and your dad in Mexico. Instead, here you sit on my lap squirming wildly (your feet keep hitting the space bar) smelling ever so faintly of spoiled milk. The dog is not walked, the car is not picked up from the shop, the heat index is rising, and it's a code orange air quality day. In a few minutes I will change you, strap you close to my chest (where I'm sure the heat index is even more unfavorable) and walk you and Peanut to the auto repair shop to pick up our newly aligned car.

See, love, I always imagined that I would write your birth story while I was sipping coffee on a porch somewhere, you sleeping calmly by my side. I would spend most of the day remembering every detail so that one day you could read the play-by-play of how you entered this place. Instead, it looks like it's going to happen after I walk to G&S Automotive and before I rush off to work for a meeting on how we might "Vote out Poverty."

Welcome to the world Marian Katherine Ard Waller. My first words of wisdom-- things don't always play out quite the way you imagined they would. And usually, that's okay.

No comments: