Thursday, July 31, 2008

Vroom Vroom

I had not quite finished uploading the picture for the blog post last night when I heard you fussing in the bedroom. This was about 11:00pm. I picked you up, nursed, rocked and sang "Bye Bye My Baby." You didn't go back to sleep. Nona came down when she couldn't stand the sound of your crying anymore and took you out to the porch swing. You went to sleep out there but woke up the minute you hit the sheets in the bedroom. For the next hour and a half you tossed and turned and tried to go back to sleep. Finally, you decided you might as well get up and read for a while. Book after book after book and you still didn't get sleepy enough to lay down and close your eyes. I, however, got plenty tired but decided it was a bad idea to fall asleep while a 13 month old crawled around on top of the bed. Finally, I asked you what you needed and you said very clearly, "vroom, vroom." So at 1:30 am we hopped in Nona and Granddaddy's mini van and hit the street. You were asleep three or four miles later and I got you back inside and into bed without a peep.
Sometimes, it pays to ask what you want.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What is the secret to getting actual words of out your kid? Kate seems to talk all the time, but good luck figuring out what she's saying. At her 15 month appointment they asked what words she was saying, and I disappointingly responded, "None that you might understand." (I later backpedaled, grasping for anything she has ever uttered that sounded even remotely like a word. Silly me.)

Geoff and I are terribly jealous that she knows how to say such fine things as Hat and Vroom Vroom. We think Miss Marian should continue staying up late into the evening, honing her stellar vocabulary. Such fun.

I just discovered that Kate knows what, "Do you want to go on a walk?" means. This is very exciting because I feel like we're really in sync now. Of course it kind of detracts from the excitement that I had this same kind of joy when I figured out that Moose (the very big, very doofy dog) knew what, "Do you want to go for a ride?" meant. Oh well, I'll take whatever small measures of success I can get.

:)