Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Worst Day of Your Whole Life

It occurred to me yesterday, as you were screaming the kind of screams that we've so rarely heard, that this was the one day in your life that you could say "worst day ever" and it would most certainly be true. With just two months under your belt, you haven't had any day that hurt so bad. I'm glad you can't talk, because if I'd heard you say "worst day ever" (on top of the wounded screams) I would have just rolled over and died.

You had three shots yesterday and if the brief prick of the needles weren't bad enough you were sore and feverish most of the day and into the night. You displayed amazing stoicism about the shots, the nurses were still commenting about that when we left the office, but once you were safely out of the crowds and in the comfort of your own home, you let me know just how bad it felt. You cried, I cried and then we cuddled up for a long nap on the couch hoping to sleep off the pain and bad memories. When you woke up, feeling slightly better I think, we went for a long walk with Peanut and you enjoyed staring up at the leafy trees and drifted off into another nap. For the final feel-good treat of the evening, I filled up the bathtub and you and I splashed around for about 30 minutes. You decided to call it a night, all wrapped up in blankets, and you slept straight through to 5am. Your dad and I thought you were a little too warm and your temperature (taken the pansy way, under your armpit) was a little over 100. So we broke open the safety seal on the cherry flavored Infant Tylenol and you had your first non-breast milk "food" ever. We prefer to think your had cherry pie instead of medicine. A few more hours of sleep and you woke up ready to smile at Mr. Reindeer on your mobile. Much better day today, maybe not "best day ever" but moving in that direction.

PS. You made an "A" weight! You bent the scales at 13 pounds 1 ounce and that puts you in the 97 percentile. In my book, that's an A+! Good work my little chunker.

No comments: